Want to jump into crochet with an easy project? A dishcloth makes a wonderful first project because it is small, portable, and uses very small amounts of yarn too! Check out the full video tutorial where I guide you through the entire project step by step and check out the instructions below too if you’d like to follow along that way too. Try different colors or stripy yarn for endless possibilities!
Love fun craft videos? Be sure to subscribe to the Sparkle & Splatter channel for all of the latest crafty fun!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cotton dishcloth yarn
- 6.0 “J” crochet hook
- Tapestry/yarn needle
Here’s how to make it!
- Note: if you’ve never crocheted before, be sure to watch the video above!
- Dishcloth in the photos measures 6 inches by 6 inches.
- I did four rows of each color before switching.
- Chain 20 (there’s no special stitch count for this dishcloth, fell free to change number of chains as needed)
- Row 1: In the 3rd chain from the hook, work a half double crochet (hdc)
- Work a hdc in each chain across.
- Row 2: Chain 2 and turn.
- Work a hdc into the first stitch and in each stitch across.
- Repeat row 2 until the dishcloth has the same width and height.
- If you’d like add a hanging loop, when you finish the last stitch of the last row, chain 8, when work a slip stitch into the same stitch.
- Fasten off and weave in any ends that remain.
For more family fun, be sure to follow Sparkle & Splatter for the latest projects and activities!